Inspired by the chefs at work, I made my own couscous salad the other day. Thumbs up!
What you need (1 large portion):
200ml boiling hot chicken stock (from a cube or powder)
approx. 100g cooked leftover chicken, shredded or diced
1/2 courgette, diced
1 tomato, deseeded and diced
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, deseeded and diced
1 clove of garlic, minced (or 1 tsp garlic paste)
1/2 tsp sambal oelek/harissa/chili paste
1/2 tsp ground paprika
chopped herbs, such as parsley or coriander (dried herbs are fine too)
salt & pepper to taste
In a bowl, pour the stock on the couscous. Cover the bowl with some tin foil and let it rest a few minutes until all the liquid has disappeared. Stir with a fork to loosen, then stir in a drizzle of olive oil and season with paprika.
Meanwhile, heat some oil in a pan and sauté the onion, garlic, chili paste, pepper and courgette and cook for a few minutes until the onion is softened. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
Mix the chicken mixture, tomato and herbs with the couscous and serve warm or cold.
For those on the Weight Watchers Pro Points 2.0 plan (like me): this could totally count as lunch or dinner on a 'green' day!
- use smoked chicken, cut in cubes.
- for a vegetarian alternative, use vegetable stock and mixed roasted nuts instead of chicken.
- mix in some toasted pine nuts for a bit of crunch.
- add chopped leek or diced eggplant in with the other veggies (note: eggplant takes a bit longer to cook)
- add some sultanas or raisins for a bit of sweetness