Inspired by the chefs at work, I made my own couscous salad the other day. Thumbs up!
What you need (1 large portion):
200ml boiling hot vegetable stock (from a cube or powder)
1/2 courgette, diced
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, deseeded and diced
100g mushrooms, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced (or 1 tsp garlic paste)
1/2 tsp sambal oelek/harissa/chili paste
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
pinch of cinnamon
1 tbsp dried parsley
salt & pepper to taste
1 tomato, deseeded and diced
In a bowl, pour the stock on the couscous. Cover the bowl with some tin foil and let it rest a few minutes until all the liquid has disappeared. Stir with a fork to loosen.
Meanwhile, heat some oil in a pan and sauté the onion, garlic and chili paste until onion has sofetened. Add bell pepper, courgette and mushrooms cook for a few minutes. Add the spices, parsley, salt and pepper to taste and stir until everything is well-combined and spices are starting to give off scent.
Add mixture to the couscous and allow to cool. Stir in chopped tomato.
- add a tablespoon of roasted pine nuts
- add a tablespoon of capers (drained)
- add some chopped sundried tomatoes
- add some raisins/sultanas
- add some chopped dried apricots
- add 1/4 cucumber, deseeded & diced
- add 50g faux chicken, diced (add to the pan along with the spices)